Monday, August 3, 2009

Prayers to Honor Devi

Ya Kundendu-Tushara-Hara-Dhavala
Ya Shubhra-Vastravta
Ya Vina-Vara-Danda-Mandita-Kara
Ya Shveta-Padmasana
Ya Brahmachyuta-Shankara-Prabhrtibhir
Devaih Sada Vandita
Sa Mam Patu Saraswati Bhagwati
Nihshesha-Jadyapaha

~May Saraswati, the goddess of learning, who is pale like a garland of kunda flowers, the moon or frost, who is dressed in white, whose hands play the vina, who sits on a white lotus flower and is always adored by the gods Brahma, Shiva, and Vishnu, protect me by completely removing the dullness of my intellect

Brahma Rupini Gayatri
Divye Sandhye Saraswati
Ajare Amare Chaiva
Brahma Yone Namostute

~Oh Gayatri! You are the personification of Brahman. You are the goddess of knowledge, the divine twilight. You are ageless and immortal. You are the mother of the Vedic knowledge. I bow down to you.

Jayanti Mangala Kali
Bhadrakali Kapalini
Durge Kshame Shive Dhatri
Svadhe Svahe Namostute

~Victorious one, auspicious one, Kali! Bhadrakali! Wearer of the skull garland! O mother! All-forgiving protector and nurse! Sacred syllable of the sacrifice, I bow down to you.

Prachanda-Chanda-Mundayor
Maha-Balaika-Khandini
Hy Aneka-Runda-Munda-Yug-Rane
Balaika-Dayini
Kvachit Tv Ashakti-Karini
Rama-Vilasa-Dayini
Mudestu Kalika Sada
Samasta-Papa-Harini

~ May Kali, who takes away all sins, bring you joy. She was the only one able to destroy the terrible demons, Chanda and Munda. Kali gives courage and strength to a warrior on a battlefield littered with headless corpses. She robs the strength of those not devoted to her, though she gives good fortune to those who are.

Sarva Mangala Mangalye
Shive Sarvatha Sadhike
Sharanye Tryambake Gauri
Narayani Namostute

~O auspicious one, O partner of Lord Shiva! O golden one! You make all things possible. You are the refuge of all. You have the third eye of knowledge. I bow down to you.

Siddhi Buddhi Prade Devi
Bhukti Mukti Pradayini
Mantra Murte Sada Devi
MahaLaxmi Namostute

~O MahaLaxmi! Bestower of success and intelligence, worldly enjoyment and liberation, I bow down to you, O goddess, whose form is the mystic syllable.

Samudra-Mekhale Devi
Parvata-Stana-Mandale
Vishnu-Patni Namast Tubhyam
Pada-Sparsham Kshamasva Me

~O Bhumi! You are girdled by the oceans and the mountains are your breasts. O wife of Vishnu, I offer you my salutations. Forgive me for treading on you.

Udbhava-Sthita-Samhara-
Karinim Klesha-Harinim
Sarva-Shreyaskarim Sitam
Natoham Rama-Vallabham

~I offer my reverence to Rama's beloved Sita, the source of the world's creation, maintenance and destruction, the remover of all miseries and the bringer of all auspiciousness

Tapta-Kanchana-Gaurangi
Radhe Vrndavaneshvari
Vrshabhanu-Sute Devi
Pranamami Hari-Priye

~O golden-skinned Radha, queen of Vrindavan, daughter of Vrishabhanu and beloved of Krsna, I offer salutations to you.

Jaya Devi Bhakti-Datri
Prasida Parameshvari
Jaya Devi Subhadre Tvam
Sarvesham Bhadra-Dayini

~Glories to you, Subhadra, the bestower of bhakti! Be kind to me, O ruler of the universe! Please bestow auspiciousness on us all.

Vrndayai Tulsi Devyai
Priyayai Keshavasya Cha
Krsna-Bhakti-Prade Devi
Satyavatyai Namo Namaha

~Salutations to you, Vrinda Devi! You are most dear to Keshava. O Goddess! O form of truth! You bestow devotion to Krsna, so I bow down to you again and again.

Baddhanjalir Naumi Kuru Prasadam
Apurva-Mata Bhava Devi Gange
Ante Vayasy Anka-Gataya Mahyam
Adeha-Bandhaya Payah Prayaccha

~With folded hands, I offer you my salutations, O Ganga Devi! Please be compassionate and treat me like your own child. I pray that on my last day on earth you will take me into your watery lap and grant me liberation from this body.

Chid-Ananda-Bhanoh Sada Nanda-Sunoh
Para-Prema-Patri Drava-Brahma-Gatri
Aghanam Lavitri Jagat-Kshema-Datri
Pavitri-Kriyan No Vapur Mitra-Putri

~O Yamuna, O daughter of the sun! You are the object of Krsna's love, the sunshine of eternal consciousness and bliss! Your body is the flowing liquid form of Brahman. You wash away all the world's sins and bring it auspiciousness. Please purify us.

No comments:

Post a Comment