Monday, August 3, 2009

Sri Suktam

Aum

hiranyavarnam harinim suvarnarajatasrajam
candram hiranmayim laksmim jatavedo mamavaha
tam ma avaha jatavedo laksmimanapagaminim
yasyam hiranyam vindeyam gamasvam purusanaham

Invoke for me, O Agni, the Goddess Lakshmi, who shines
like gold, yellow in hue, wearing gold and silver
garlands, blooming like the moon, the embodiment of
wealth, O Agni! Invoke for me that unfailing Lakshmi,
being blessed by whom, I shall win wealth, cattle horses
and men.

asvapurvam rathamadhyam hastinadapramodinim
sriyam devimupahvaye srirma devi jusatam
kamsosmi tam hiranyaprakaramardram jvalantim trptam
tarpayantim
padmesthitam padmavarnam tamihopahvaye sriyam

I Invoke Shri (Lakshmi), who has a line of horses in her
front, a series of chariots in the middle, who is being
awakened by the trumpeting of elephants, who is divinely
resplendent. May that divine Lakshmi grace me. I hereby
invoke that Shri (Lakshmi) who is an embodiment of
absolute bliss; who is of pleasant smile in her face;
whose lustre is like that of burnished gold; who is wet,
as it were, (just from the milky ocean) who is blazing
with splendour, and is the embodiment of the fulfilment of
all wishes; who satisfies the desires of her votaries; who
is seated on the lotus and is beautiful like the lotus.

candram prabhasam yasasa jvalamtim sriyam loke devajustamudaram
tam padminimim saranamaham prapadye'laksmirme nasyatam tvam vrne
adityavarne tapaso'dhijato vanaspatistava vrkso'tha bilvah
tasya phalani tapasanudantumayantarayasca bahya alaksmih

I resort to that Lakshmi for shelter in this world, who is
beautiful like the moon, who shines bright, who is blazing
with renown, who is adored (even) by the gods, who is
highly magnanimous, and grand like the lotus; - may my
misfortunes perish; I surrender myself to Thee. O, Thou
resplendent like the Sun! By Thy power and glory have the
plants, (like) the bael tree, have grown up. May the
fruits thereof destroy through Thy Grace all
inauspiciousness rising from the inner organs and
ignorance as well as from the outer senses.

upaitu mam devasakhah kirtisca manina saha
pradurbhuto'smi rastresminkirtimrddhim dadatu me
ksutpipasamalam jyesthamalaksmim nasayamyaham
abhutimasamrddhim ca sarvam nirnudame grhat

O Lakshmi! I am born in this country with the heritage of
wealth. May the friend of the Lord Siva (kubera) and kirti
(fame) come to me. May these (having taken their abode
with me) bestow on me fame and prosperity. I shall destroy
the elder sister to Lakshmi, the embodiment of
inauspiciousness and such evil as hunger, thirst, and the
like. O Lakshmi! Drive out from my abode all misfortune
and poverty.

gandhadvaram duradharsam nityapustam karisinim
isvarim sarvabhutanam tamihopahvaye sriyam
manasah kamamakutim vacah satyamasimahi
pasunam rupamannasya mayi srih srayatam yasah

I invoke hereby that Lakshmi (Shri), whose (main) avenue
of perception is the odoriferous sense (i.e., who abides
mainly in cows); who is incapable of defeat or threat from
anyone; who is ever healthy (with such virtuous qualities
as truth); whose grace is seen abundantly in the refuse of
cows (the cows being sacred); and who is supreme over all
created beings. O Lakshmi! May we obtain and enjoy the
fulfilment of our desires and our volitions, the veracity
of our speech, the wealth of cattle, the abundance of
varieties of food to eat! May prosperity and fame reside
in me (thy devotee)!

kardamena prajabhutamayi sambhavakardama
sriyam vasaya me kule mataram padmamalinim
apah srjantu snigdhani ciklitavasame grhe
nicadevim mataram sriyam vasaya me kule

Lakshmi! You have progeny in Kardama. (Hence) O Kardama,
may you reside in me. Make Mother Shri with garlands of
lotuses to have Her abode in my (ancestral) line. May the
(holy) waters create friendship (they being of an adhesive
nature). O Chiklita (Progeny of Shri)! Reside at my home;
and arrange to make Divine Mother Shri to stay in my
lineage !

ardram puskarinim pustim pingalam padmamalinim
candram hiranmayim laksmim jatavedo ma avaha
ardram yahkarinim yastim suvarnam hemamalinim
suryam hiranmayim laksmim jatavedo ma avaha

Invoke for me, O Agni, Lakshmi who shines like gold, is
brilliant like the sun, who is powerfully fragrant, who
wields the rod of suzerainity, who is of the form of
supreme rulership, who is radiant with ornaments and is
the goddess of wealth. Invoke for me, O Agni, the Goddess
Lakshmi who shines like gold, blooms like the moon, who is
fresh with anointment (of fragrant scent), who is adorned
with the lotuses (lifted up by celestial elephants in the
act of worship), who is the presiding deity of
nourishment, who is yellow in colour, and who wears
garlands of lotuses.

tam ma avaha jatavedo laksmimanapagaminim
yasyam hiranyam prabhutam gavodasyosvanvindeyam
purusanaham

Invoke for me O Agni, that Goddess Lakshmi, who is ever
unfailing, being blessed by whom I shall win wealth in
plenty, cattle, servants, horses, and men.

om mahadevyai ca vidmahe
visnupatni ca dhimahi
tanno laksmih pracodayat

We Commune ourselves with the Great Goddess, and meditate
on the Consort of Vishnu; May that Lakshmi direct us (to
the Great Goal).

om santih santih santih

Om, May there be Peace, Peace, Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment