Sunday, August 2, 2009

Hori

Heratic Papyrus by Gardener

(I) The scribe Hori, a man of great erudition and celebrity, employed
in the Royal stables, (11) writes to his friend the scribe Amenemope,
(111) wishing
him all prosperity in this world and all happiness in the next. (IV)
Hori writes to say that
his friend's letter reached him at a moment of leisure; bis joy at its
reception was lessened
by a perusal of the contents, which appeared to him to be very
mediocre. (V) In spite of
his having called many helpers to his aid, Amenemope has contrived to
make a bad job of
the commission he was called upon to perform. (VI) Hori will now reply
in a letter of the
same kind, and will excel Amenemope at every point, dealing with the
very same topics.
At the outset Amenemope has had the discourtesy to omit the usual
salutations. (VII) He
has also expressed his coiltempt of Hori's ability. The latter replies
ironically, naming
various persons who have attained to positions of ease and wealth in
spite of some ludicrous
moral or physical defect; the exact point of the answer is not clear.
(VIII) Hori goes on
to poke f ~ a~t nhis friend's pretensions to learning and ends by
advising him not to meddle
with ancient lore. (IX) Accused of having no right to his title of
scribe, Hori refers Amenemope
to the official registers. (X) An obscure competition between the
rivals. (XI) Again
accused of being no true scribe, Hori asks that the god Onuris shall
be appealed to as
arbiter. (XII) When commanded to undertake any difficult calculation,
Amenemope either
turns to others for advice, or else fails to give ally answer; this is
illustrated by several
examples, the building of a ramp, (XIII) the transport of an obelisk,
(XIV) the erection of
a colossus, and (XV) the furnishing of supplies for the troops on a
foreign military expedition.
(XVI) Amenemope has laid claim to the title of Maher; Hori replies by
enumerating a
number of places in Northern Syria never visited by Amenernope, and an
imaginary picture
of the latter enduring the discomforts of the Maher's life is conjured
up. (XVII) Amenemope
is questioned as to the towns of Phoenicia (XVIII) and as to the towns
further southwards.
(XIX) Sundry other places frequented by the Maher are named, and
Amenemope is imagined
as experiencing the adventures of the Maher's life - the traversing of
a precipitous region,
the danger from wild beasts, the breaking of the chariot, the arrival
at Joppa, and finally
the repairing of the chariot and the start on a new journey. (XX) Hori
cross-examines his
friend as to the places on the high-road to Gaza, and finds him
totally ignorant of them.
He regards his own superiority as t ~ o wfu lly proved, and bids
Amenemope not to be angry
h u t to listen &olly; it, this way he too will learn to discourse
about foreign parts and the
illcidellts of travel.

Hori to Amenemope

The scril~c of noble parts, patient in discussion1, at whose
utterances men
rejoice when they arc heard, skilled in the hieroglyphs; there is
nothing he does
not know. He is a champion in valour and in thc art of Seshyta; servant of
the lord of IChrnunVn the4 hall of writing; assistant-teacher5 in the
office of
writingu. First of his companions, foremost of his fellows, prince of
his contemporaries,
without his pccr. His merit is proved7 in every stripling. His hand
goes lorth (??)" his fingers magnify the young (??). Noble, ltcen of
wit" adept
1,; in knowledge; fortunate because of it(:?)''. Protecting himsclf by
his good
qualities; belovcd in (men's) hearts, without being repelled(?)"; men
like to make
a iricnd of him, they do not tire of him. Swift to inscribeXae mpty
rolls. Youthf~l,
eminent of chartn, plcasant of graceI3. Unravelling the obscurities of
the annals
like him who made themX4. All that goes forth from his mouth is steeped in
honeyi" tthc heart is refreshed ~vith it as it were with medicine.
GroomiG of his
z , ~M ajesty, follower of the Sovereign, trainer of the steeds" oi
the king, ardent
cultivatorX3 of thc stable'! The old man who doeth like hims0 is
beaten(?)ai. He who looses the yoke, [Hori] son of Onnofre of the
region of Abydos, island' of
the just; born of Tewosre in the district of Belbeis2, singer of Ubast
in ,'i'&f-[?~lfy]~.
XI. He sends greetings to his friend, the scribe Amenemope.
He greets his friend, his excellent brother, the royal scribe in command
of the victorious army4; noble of parts, goodly of qualities, adept in
knowledge;
who has not his equal in any scribe. Beloved of all men; beautiful to him
2,s who beholds his charm; like a flower of the marshes in the heart
of others5.
A scribe (writing) in every style(?)6; there is nothing that he does
not know.
Men inquire after his response in quest of choice words. Keen of wit7,
patient
of heart, loving mankind; rejoicing at deeds of Justice, he turns his
back upon
iniquity. (The scribe of steeds(?) . . . . . . . . . . . Amenemope,
son of the steward
Mose, the reveredJs
111. Wishes for the welfare of the friend.
Mayest thou live and prosper and be hale, my excellent brother,
wellequipped,
strongly-established, without a wish; thy needs of life and of sustenance
satisfied, joy and delight united in thy path. May (. . . . . . .9
come forth for
3,1 thee in thy lifetime, and his(?) gate(??)1° decay not; mayest thou
see the rays
of the sun and sate thyself with him; rnayest thou pass [thy] term . .
. . . . . . . . . .
thy gods pleased with theeii, not being wroth . . . . . . . ; may thy
reward be . . .
. . . . . . after old age, thy love12 (??) in the hearts of(?) the
Just; mayest thou
enter into thy tomb in the holy [ground] and mix with the noble
spirits; rnayest
thou be judged among them and be acquitted in Busiris before Onnofre,
being
established in Abydos in the presence of Shu-Oniirisi" mayest thou
cross [to
3,s U-peqer]14 in the train of the godi5; mayest thou traverse the
divine region in the train of Sokaris; mayest thou join the crew of
the Neshmet bark', without
being turned back; mayest thou see the sun in heaven when he opens the
year;
may Anubis attach for thee thy head to thy bones" mayest thou come forth
from the Hidden Place3, without being destroyed; inayest thou [behold]
the sheen'
in the Nethercvorld as it passes by thee; may Nun' be abundant in thy
domain,
may he inundate thy path, niay he overflow (the land to) scvcn ells
(depth)
beside thy tomb" maycst thou sit at the river's brink in thy moment of
repose;
4,1 illayest thou lave thy face and thy hand; mayest thou receive
offerings; maj. thy
nose inhale7 the breeze; mayest thou relax thy throat; the clothes of
T a ~ t ( ? ) ~
. . . . . . . . . . . . ; may Nepri give thee bread, and Hathor beer"
mayest thou
suck at the breast of the Cow .S&:;~~-[ZY'~m; ay the best oils(?) be
opened for(?)
thec"; mayest thou cntcr . . . . . . . . . . . . . ., mayest thou set
him on his seat;
may the Ushcbti-figures receive thee(?) . . . . . . . . carrying sand
from the East
to the West; mayest thou . . . . . . . .la [the goddess in1 thy
sycan~ore, may she
moistcn thy throat; mayest thou repel [thy enemies(?); mayest thou be
powerf~l(?)'~
on] earth, mayest thou he bright14 . . . . . . . . . . . . , mayest
tho11 be justified in
heaven'" . . . . . . . .; mayest thou descend to the . . . . . . . .,
without being
4,s dcstroycd; mayest thou make thy transformations as thou listest
lilcc the Phoenix,
every form of thine being a god m~hen thou . . . . . . . . . .


Another topic. Thy letter reached me in an hour of leisure'". ,l'hy
inessenger found me" i s I sat l~cside the horse which is in my
charge. I rejoiced and was glad, I made ready to reply1. I entered
into my stable2 to examine
thy letter. I found it consisted neither of praises nor of insults3.
Thy utterances
confuse this with that, all thy words are perverted, they are not
coherent4. All
s , t~hy writing is . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
mixing(?) [evil things] with choice,
the best with . . . . . . . Thy sayings are [not(?)] sweet; they are
not bitter.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . with honey; thou dost excel
must mingled with unmellowed
wine 5.
V. The way in which Amenemope wrote his letter is describedG.
I [send] to thee and bear witness unto thee like . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . )
but not excellent(?). As for me, when [I] say [to] thee . . . . . . .
. . . . speak
5,s Thy speeches . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . perturbed(?), to
frighten me(?)8. But I feel
no awe before thee, I know thy nature, I feel sureg that thou wilt answer
iti0 alor,e by thyselfi1. But loi2, thy protector^'^ stand behind
thee; thou hast
assembled many . . . . . . . . of(?) helpersi4 such as thou wouldst
(collect(??)) for a
bench of judges15. Thy looks are troubled, whilst thou standest
coaxing the
assistants(?)'\nd saying: "Come (join) with me and lend a hand to me!"
Thou presentest them with giftsi, each man separately, and they say to
thee: "Take
heart, we will overcome himg". Thou standest pert~rbed(?). ~. . . . .
. . . . before
61 them(?); and they sit deliberating, the six scribes. Thou hastenest
with them
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . seven(?)4. Thou givest two
section^(?)^ in charge to
each man, and completest thy letter again. [One] (scribe spealis[?]j
praises, two
(utter[?]) insults(?)" An~ther(?s)t~a nds and examines them according
to the rules.
[The fifth] says: "Do not hurry, be patient about it in making (it)
perfect". The
sixth8 hastens to measure the [corn(?)lg; he exerts himself(?)1° to
have it delivered1'.
6,s The seventh stands at (his) side in the act of receiving the
rations for the soldiers.
Thy lists12 are confused, and cannot be made right. Kharof13 plays the
deaf
man and will not hearken. He takes an oath by Ptah14 saying: "I will
not let
the seali5 be set upon the granary". He goes forth in a ragexG. By what
(number) of bushels is one short(?)17? (What[?]) is the loss of pints
in it for
every measurei8? Beholdlg thou art a scribe in command of the army. Men
7,1 hearken to what thou sayest, thou art not disregardedz0! Thou art
clever as a
scribe, there is nothing thou dost not know! Thy letter is deemed too
second- rate(?)' to be listened to. 'I'hou hast parted from(?) thy
papyrus to no purpose2(?.?).
Thou didst enterVinowing beforehand(?): "it is not good(?); do not(?)'
cause it to
be brought", saying: "the . . . . . . . . . are continually . . . . .
. .5 at my fingerends(?),
lilce a booli of incantations(?) at the neck of a siclc mans; it is
continually
. . . . . . , it does not tire of being fastened by the thread7 of my
ring".


Hori reproves of Amenemope's discourtesy

VI. The author reproves Amenemope's discourtesy.
7,5 I reply to thee in like fashions, in a letter newly (-composed)
froni the first
word(:)" down to the finis (?)lo, filled with expressions of my lips
invented by
myself alone, none other being with me. By the might of Thothti! I made it
by myself, without sumrnoni~lg any scribe that he might I will give thee
more than(?)'"wenty themes(?), I will repeat for thee what thou hast
said, (every)
theme in its place, (from) the fourteen columns(?)LL(o f) thy letter.
Take for thyseli(:)li
a sheet of papyrus; I will tell thee many things, aid will pour out
for thec choice
8,r words'o. - The Nile spreads abroad (its) flood when(?) the
inundation season is
bright(??); it talces possession of the meadowsi7. - All my words are
sweet and
pleasant in the saying(?),8; I do not act as thou dost when [I]
invoke(?) thec.
Thou startest with insults to me'" thou dost not salute me at the
beginning of
thy letter. Thy words are far from me, they do not come near (me); for
Thoth, my god, is a shield about me. By the might of Ptah, the 1,oi-d
or Truth, . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . Behold make thy words so that(?) they come to
pass'; make
8,s every utterance of thy mouth into every (kind ol) enemy. (Yet[?])
shall I be
buried in Abydos [in] thc abodea of n1.y fathcr; for I am the son of
Truth in the
city of the Lord(?)' (of Truth). I shall be buried among my
compeers(?) in the hill of
thc Sacred Land.. Wherefore am I (as) a reprobate in thy heart? Then
visit(?) it
(upon To whom have I recalled thee with an evil recallingi6 I \vill make
for thee a volumeC as a pleasant jest (so that) thou becomest the'
sport of
everybody!

Amenemope vilifies Hori

Again thou sayest (conccrning meR): "Feebleg of arm, strengthless one"!
Thou dost undervaluel%e as scribe, and sayest: "He knows nothing!" - I
have
s,r not" spent a moment beside thee coaxing thee and saying: L'Be my
protect~r'~,
someone is persecuting me'?!" (By) the decree of the Victorious Lord,
\vhose
name is powerful, whose statutes arc firmly-established likc (those
of) Thoth; I am
the helperI4 of all my fellow-men! Thou sayest, "Thou fallcst(:)",
again(?) concerning
me . . . . . . . . I know15 many nlen without strength, fecblc of arm,
weak of forearm,
lacliitlg in power. And (yet) they are rich in houses, in food and
sustenance,
and they speak no wish [concerning anything(;)]'< Come, let me tell to
thee the likeness of the scribe Roy, who was called the firebrand(?)'
of the granary. He
never moved2 and never ran since (the day of) his birth. He detested
the work
of an active man, and never (came to) know it. And (yet) he rests in
the Amente,
his skin whole, and the dread of the GOO: God3 overtaltes him not.
Thou art
more(?) foolish4 than(?) Kasa, the reckoner of cattle" Run(??), for(?)
I will tell
thee his likeness; do not(?) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .6. Thou
hast surely heard the
name of Amen-wah-se, an old man in [the] Treasury. He passed his
lifetime as
controller in the worltshop beside the armoury7. Come let me tell thee
of Nakht,
l o , ~h im of8 the wine-store; he will please thee ten times better
than these. Let me
tell thee of P-ha~--~idweh~o lives in Heliopolis; [he is an old] man
of the Palace.
He is smaller (than)'' a cat, and bigger than an ape; he prospers in
his house
and . . . . . . . . . ., (while[?]) thou wilt be here in the stable
for ever(?)''. Thou
hast heard the name of Ke-sop(??), the . . . . . . . (?)I2, who moves
over the ground
unnoticedI3, disorderly(?)14 of attire and tightly swathed15. If thou
wert to see
him at evening in the darkness, thou wouldst fancy him a passing bird. Put
10,s him in the scale and see how heavy he is. He will come outi6 at
ten pounds
or even lighter still1'. If thou blowest beside him as he passes, he
will drop
down far off like a leaf of foliaget8. If I tell thee of Wah, him of
the cattle- stalls, thou wilt reward me with thrice refined(?) goldi.
I swear by the Lord
of Khmi?ins and Nehem-awayt, thou art strong of arm, thou wilt overthrow
them3. Let [them(?)] be examined, these(?) with those. I will smite
them with
my arm, [nor shall any turn(?)ll aside my hands. - Good Sir5, my
friend, who
dost not know what thou sayest, I solve thy riddles; arduous things I
n~alte easy!

Hori mocks Amenempoe's pretended wisedom

Thou art come furnished with great secrets. Thou tellest me a proverb
of Hardedef6, and knowest not whether it be good or bad; what chapter
comes
before it . . . . . . . .? Thou art one clever beyond his fellows; the
lore of books
is graven in thy heart. Felicitous is thy tongue; broad are thy words. One
saying from thy mouth weighs more than three pounds. Thou . . . . . .
. . . .7 to me
in order to frighten me(?)8. My eyes are dazzled(?)%t what thou doest;
I am
11,s agape(?)'' when thou sayest: "More profound1l as scribe am I than
heaven and
earth and the netherworld; I know the (measure of the) mountains in
pounds and
in pints." The house of books is hidden, it is not seen1" its divine
cycle is
concealed and . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Tell me what thou
ltnowest (of them). Then
shall I answer thee: "Beware lest thy fingers approach the
hieroglyph~'~". So say
I: ". . . . . . . . . . . . . . as when . . . . . . . sits to play
draughtsni4.
IX. The writer vindicates his title to the name of scribe.
Thou sayest to me: "Thou art no scribe, thou art no soldier! Thou (alone)
makest thyself out to be one in authority(?)15! Thou art not on the
listlG!"
IZ,I - Thou (forsooth) art a scribe of the king, one who enrols the
soldiers. All the . . . . . . . .(?)I of heaven are open before thee.
Haste thee to the place [of the]'
books, that they may let thee see the chest with the [registersI3,
taking an offering
to fly-i4 that he may quickly disclose(?) to thee my(?) reputation5.
Thou wilt
find my name upon the roll as officer%f the great stable of
Sese7-miamun. Thou
wilt bear witness to the command in the stable (which I hold), for
provisions(?)8
are enteredg in my name. So I have served as officer! So I have been a
12,s scribe! There is no stripling of thy(?) generation who can
measure himself with
mei". Let a man inquire from his mother! Hie thee1' to my superior
officers,
that they may declare to thee my reputation.
X. An imaginary competition in which the writer's superiority is proved.
Again thou sayest concerning me: "A high . . . treei5s before thee; enter
thou into the difficult(?) . . . . . . tree; thou canst not do it!"
Enter thou in before
me, and I will come after thee. Admit(?)13, thou hast never approached
it, nor
canst thou(?) draw nigh to iti'. If thou discoverest the 'inner part
of it1', I have
I ~ , rIe treated (still further). Beware of laying hands on me in
order to pull me out.

XI. The writer is again accused of being no true scribe.
Thou sayest to me: "In very soothlG thou art no scribe; it is a vaini7 and
empty name. Thou bearest the palette wrongfullyi8, without being . . .
. . . .'!I(?)"
- I am foolish(?)20 [and without a(?)] teacher. Tell me(?) the . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . able to exhaust(?)' me(?). Thou
dost harness2 thyself against me yet
again. Thy sayings do injustice; they will not be hearkened to. Let
thy letters3
be taken before Onuris4, that he may decide for us who is in the
right; do not
XII. Two instances of the incompetence of Amenemope: in the supplying
of rations for the troops, and in the building of a ramp.
13~5 Another topic. Behold I am come full of thy office; I cause thee to
know how matters stand with t h e e h h e n thou sayest: "I am the
scribe, commander
of soldiers". There is given to thee a lake to dig. Thou comest to
me to inquire concerning the giving of rations7 to the soldiers, and
sayest to me:
"Reckon it out". Thou desertest thy office; the (task of) teaching
thee to perform
it falls upon my shoulderss. Come, I will tell thee more than thou hast
141 said(?). I will cause thee to be abasl~ed(?)~I. will disclose to
thee a command
of thy Lord, since thou art his royal scribe, (since) thou art
despatched to conveylo
great monuments for Horus, the Lord of the Two Lands. For thou (in sooth)
art the clever scribe who is at the head of the soldiers! - There is
madeTi a
ramp of 730 cubits, with a breadth of 55 cubits, consisting of I 20
compartments(?),
filIedi%ith reedsi3 and beams, with a height of14 60 cubits at its
summit, its middle of 30 cubits, its batter(?) I 5 cubits, its
base(??) of 5 cubits. The quantity
of bricks needed for it is asked of the commander of the army. All the
scribes
14,s together lack knowledge among them(?). They put their faith1 in
thee, all of
them, saying: "Thou art a clever scribe2, my friend! Decide for us
quickly!
Behold thy name is famous; let one be found in this place (able) to
magnify3
the other thirty! Let it not be said of thee that there is aught that
thou dost
not know! Answer us (as to) the quantity of bricks needed! Behold its
measurement~(??
a)r~e before thee; each one of its compartments(?) is of 30 cubits (long)
and 7 cubits broadH6.
XIII. Amenemope is unable to determine the number of men required
in the transport of an obelisk of given dimensions.
1 5 ~ 1 Come, good sir, vigilant scribe, who art at the head of the
army, distinguished
when thou standest at the great Palace-gates, comely when thou bowest
down beneath the Balcony" A despatch has come from the crown-prince7 at
Rc-kj8 to rejoice the heart of the Horus of Gold, to extol(?) the
raging Lion(?)g,
telling that an obelisk'' has been newly made, graven with the name of His
Majesty, of I 10 cubits in length of shaft; its pedestal 10 cubits
(square), the block
at its base making 7 cubits in every direction; it goes in a slope(?)
towards the
15,s summit(?), one cubit and one finger(?); its pyramidion one cubit
in height, its
point(?) (measuring) two fingers. Add them together(??) so as to make them
into a list(??)'', so that thou mayest appoint every man needed to(??)
drag
them, and send them to the Red Mountaini2. Behold, they are waiting
for [tl~em]'. Prepare(?) the way Tor(?) the crown-prince M-its.
Approach(?)' ancl decide
for us the number of men cvho (shall go) before him. Let them not have
to write
again! The monutncnt (lies ready) in the quarry. Answer quiclcly, do not
dawdle? Behold thou art seeking them4 for thyself! Get thee 0115! Behold
16,1 thou art bestirring. thyself(?)'. I cause thee to rejoice; I used
formerly to . . . . . .
like thee. Let us join the fray together7, for niy heart is tricd, my
fingers are
apt and clcvcrs when thou g.oest astray. Get thee (onwards)? LL)o not
weep!
Thy helpcr'l statids behinrl thee! I will cause thee to say: "There is
a royal
scribe with the Horus, the Victorious Eull", and thou shalt order men
to malce
chests into which to put letters". I would have written for thee
stealthily(??)'l,
r6,j but(?) behold thou art seeking it for tl~yself'~. Thou settest my
fingers . . . . . . . . m
like a bull at a festival at every festival of . . . . . . . . . .
XIV. Amenemope proves himself incapable of supervising the erection
of a colossus.
It is said to thee: "Empty1' tlie magazine that has been loaded with sand
under the monument of thy Lorcl which has been brought from the Red
Mountain.
It makes 30 cubits stretched upon the ground, ancl 2 0 cubits in
breadth, . . . . . .
-cd vvitli IOO(??c)h amhers'filled with sand from tlie river-bank. The
. . . . . . . . . .
of its(:) chambers have a breadth of q.q.(?) cubits and a height of jo
cubits, all
17,1 of them, . . . . . . . . . . in their . . . . . . . . . ."I7 Thou
art conimandcd to find out
what is before (tlie Pharaoh)(??)''. How r n a n y 1 ~ c nw ill (it
take to) demolish it1 in six hours - (if[?])' apt are their minds(?),
but small their desire to demolish
it without there coming a pause when thou givest a rest3 to the soldiers,
that they may take their meal4 - so that the monument may be
established in
its place? It is Pharaoh's desire to see it beautiful!
XV. Amenemope fails to make proper provision for a military expedition.
0 scribe, keen of (wit), understanding of heart" to whom nothing
whatsoever
is unltnown, flameC in the darkness before the soldiers, giving light to
them! Thou art sent on an expedition to Phoet~icia(?)a~t the head of
the victorious
army, in order to smite those rebels who are called NeArin8. The troops of
soldiers who are before thee amount to 1900; (of) Sherden 520(?), of Kehek
17,s 1600, of Mesl~wesh (roo(?))" Negroes malting 880; total 5000 in
all, not countinglo
their officers. A complimentary giftl1 has been brought for thee (and set)
before thee, bread and cattle and wine. The number of men is too great for
thee, the provisioni2 (made) is too small for them: loaves of . . . .
. flour13, 300;
cakesi" 1800; goats of various sorts, I 20; wine, 30 (nleasures). The
soldiers are too
numerous, the provisions are underrated15 as compared with(??) that
which thou takest
of them. Thou receivest(?) (them, and) they are placed in the camp.
The soldiers are
prepared and ready. Register them the share oCiF every man to his hand.
The Beduins look on in secreti7. 0 sapient scribeiR, midday has come,
the camp is
hot. They sayi" ('It is time to starta0! Do not make the commander" angry!
Long is the march before us!" But I say: "What means it, that there is
no(??)
I S , I bread at all2? Our night-quarters are far off! What means,
good sir, this scour-ging of us? Nay, but thou art a clever scribe!
Approach to give the foodi!
An hour3 becomes(?) a day without the scribe from(??) the Ruler. (What
means(??))
thy being brought to punish us? This is not good; let Mose3 hear (of
it), and
he will send to destroy thee!"
XVI. Amenemope's ignorance of Northern Syria.
Thy letter abounds in pointed speeche~(?)i~s , overloaded with big words.
Behold they will(?) reward thee with that which they demand(??)5; thou
hast piled
up (words) at thy good pleasure6. "I am a scribe, a Maher7", thou dost
retort.
18,s (If) there is truth in what thou sayest, say IS, come forth that
thou mayest be tested.
A horse is harnessed for thee, swift as the jackal red of ear" it is
like a storm
of wind when it goes forth. Thou loosest the reins'', and seizest the
bow. Let
us see what thy hand will do! I will expound to thee the manner of a
Maher,
I will cause thee to see what he does. Thou hast not gone" to the land of
Khatti; thou hast not beheld the land of Upeia. As for &U-fn, thou
knowest not the nature of it, and I'g-d-y in like manner'. What is the
D- - ~ - Y ( ?o)f ~
I ~ , IS ese like? On which side of it is the town of H-Y.- . . . .
.3? What is its
stream4 like? Thou hast never set forth to Kadesh5 and to D-6-&! Thou
hast not gone to the region of the Shosu with the troops of the army7.
Thou
hast [not] trodden the way to the M-g-y8, (where) the sky is dark by
day, and
it is overgrown with cypresses(?)g and oaks1° and cedars that reach
the heavens;
(where) lions are more plenteous than leopards" and hyenas12(?), and
(it) is girt
about with Sllosu on (every) side. Thou hast not climbed the mountain
of 3-wi3.
19,5 Thou hast not trodden (the road(?))14, thy hands placed upon . .
. . . . . . . . . + I
thy chariot worni5 by ropes, thy horse being dragged(??). Prithee let
[me tell
thee of] . . . . . . -6-T-ti"?). Thou shrinkest from(?)I7 its ascent,
and crossest its
stream because of it(?). Thou beholdest how it tastes to be a Maher"! Thy
chariot rests upon thy [shoulder(?)]1g. Thy [assistant(?)] is worn
outz0. Thou makest not the nature of it, and I'g-d-y in like manner'.
What is the D- - ~ - Y ( ?o)f ~
I ~ , IS ese like? On which side of it is the town of H-Y.- . . . .
.3? What is its
stream4 like? Thou hast never set forth to Kadesh5 and to D-6-&! Thou
hast not gone to the region of the Shosu with the troops of the army7.
Thou
hast [not] trodden the way to the M-g-y8, (where) the sky is dark by
day, and
it is overgrown with cypresses(?)g and oaks1° and cedars that reach
the heavens;
(where) lions are more plenteous than leopards" and hyenas12(?), and
(it) is girt
about with Sllosu on (every) side. Thou hast not climbed the mountain
of 3-wi3.
19,5 Thou hast not trodden (the road(?))14, thy hands placed upon . .
. . . . . . . . . + I
thy chariot worni5 by ropes, thy horse being dragged(??). Prithee let
[me tell
thee of] . . . . . . -6-T-ti"?). Thou shrinkest from(?)I7 its ascent,
and crossest its
stream because of it(?). Thou beholdest how it tastes to be a Maher"! Thy
chariot rests upon thy [shoulder(?)]1g. Thy [assistant(?)] is worn
outz0. Thou makestnot the nature of it, and I'g-d-y in like manner'.
What is the D- - ~ - Y ( ?o)f ~
I ~ , IS ese like? On which side of it is the town of H-Y.- . . . .
.3? What is its
stream4 like? Thou hast never set forth to Kadesh5 and to D-6-&! Thou
hast not gone to the region of the Shosu with the troops of the army7.
Thou
hast [not] trodden the way to the M-g-y8, (where) the sky is dark by
day, and
it is overgrown with cypresses(?)g and oaks1° and cedars that reach
the heavens;
(where) lions are more plenteous than leopards" and hyenas12(?), and
(it) is girt
about with Sllosu on (every) side. Thou hast not climbed the mountain
of 3-wi3.
19,5 Thou hast not trodden (the road(?))14, thy hands placed upon . .
. . . . . . . . . + I
thy chariot worni5 by ropes, thy horse being dragged(??). Prithee let
[me tell
thee of] . . . . . . -6-T-ti"?). Thou shrinkest from(?)I7 its ascent,
and crossest its
stream because of it(?). Thou beholdest how it tastes to be a Maher"! Thy
chariot rests upon thy [shoulder(?)]1g. Thy [assistant(?)] is worn
outz0. Thou makest oh there is more...lots more, pages more... where
Hori just slammes Amememope with what he doesnt know
not the nature of it, and I'g-d-y in like manner'. What is the D- - ~
- Y ( ?o)f ~
I ~ , IS ese like? On which side of it is the town of H-Y.- . . . .
.3? What is its
stream4 like? Thou hast never set forth to Kadesh5 and to D-6-&! Thou
hast not gone to the region of the Shosu with the troops of the army7.
Thou
hast [not] trodden the way to the M-g-y8, (where) the sky is dark by
day, and
it is overgrown with cypresses(?)g and oaks1° and cedars that reach
the heavens;
(where) lions are more plenteous than leopards" and hyenas12(?), and
(it) is girt
about with Sllosu on (every) side. Thou hast not climbed the mountain
of 3-wi3.
19,5 Thou hast not trodden (the road(?))14, thy hands placed upon . .
. . . . . . . . . + I
thy chariot worni5 by ropes, thy horse being dragged(??). Prithee let
[me tell
thee of] . . . . . . -6-T-ti"?). Thou shrinkest from(?)I7 its ascent,
and crossest its
stream because of it(?). Thou beholdest how it tastes to be a Maher"! Thy
chariot rests upon thy [shoulder(?)]1g. Thy [assistant(?)] is worn
outz0. Thou makest

there is a conlcusion,

No comments:

Post a Comment