Friday, October 22, 2010

Spells for Dream

Brittish Museum Papyrus No 122 lines 65 and 359 "to obtain a vision from the god Bes. Make a drwing of Besa, as shown below, on your left hand, and envelop your hand in a strip of black cloth that has been consecrated to Auset and lie down to sleep with out speaking a word, even in answer to a question. Wind the remainder of the cloth round your neck, THe ink with which you write must be composed of the blood of a cow, the blood of a white dove, fresh fankincense, myrrh, black writing ink, cinnabar, mulberry juice, rain water and the juice of wormwood and vetch. With this, write your petition before the setting sun saying : Send the truthfull seer out of the holy shrine, I beseech thee, Lampsure, Sumarta, Baribas, Dardalam, Iorlex: o lord send the sacred deity Anuth, Anuth, Sabana, Chambre, Breith, now, now, quickly, quickly. Come in this very night."

To procure dreams: take a clean linen bag and wrte up on it the names given below. Fold it up and make it into a lamp wick, and set it alight, pouring pure oil over it. The word to be written is this : Armiuth, Lailamchouch, Arsenophrephren, Phtha, Archentachtha.' Then in the evening, when you are going to bed, which you must do with out touching food or pure from all defilement, do thus. Approach the lamp and repeat seven times the formula given below: then extinguish it and lie down to sleep. The formula is " Sachmu epaema ligotereench: The Aeon, the thunderer, thou that hast swallowed the snake and does exhaust the moon, and dost rais up the orb of the sun in his season, Chthetho is thy name; I requre, Oh, Lord of the gods, Seth, CHreps, give me the information that I desire."

Im not sure about all these words he uses in here. I haven't come across them, it looks to me like he is using lots of greek words in place of kemetic words, but this papyrus could also be demotic, aka ptolemeic or greek rule time period. I dont really mess much with post pharonic time.

These are very different than how my temple teaches it. Actually, my temple taught me the same way my shamen taught me to dream and shadow walk. Something I find inordinately interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment