Sunday, August 2, 2009

Mindfull Eating

Buddhist Eating Ritual
from the Plum Village
Chanting and Recitation book
compiled by
Thich Nhat Hanh
and the Monks and Nuns
of Plum Village


Silent Meal Practice

1. Looking at your Empty Plate or Bowl
My plate (bowl), empty now,
will soon be filled with precious food.

2.Serving Food
In this food I see clearly
the presence of the entire universe
supporting my existence.

3. Sitting Down
Sitting here is like sitting under the Bodhi Tree.
My body is mindfulness itself,
calm and at ease,
free from distraction.

4. Looking at the Plate of Food before Eating
Beings all over the Earth
are struggling to live.
May we practice
so that all may have enough to eat.

5. Contemplating the Food
This plate of food,
so fragrant and appetizing,
also contains much suffering.

6. The Five Contemplations
This food is the gift of the whole univers--
the Earth, the Sky and much hard work.
May we eat in mindfulness so as to be worthy to receave it.
May we transform our unskilled states of mind
and learn to eat with moderation.
May we take only foods that nourish us and prevent illness.
We accept this food to realize the path of understanding and love.

7. Beginning to Eat
(silently whial stuffing the face--lol)
With the first mouthful, I practice the love that brings joy.
With the second mouthful, I practice the love that relieves suffering.
With the third mouthful, I practice the joy of being alive.
With the fourth mouthful, I practice qual love for all beings.
(henceforth, eat slowely, tasting each mouthfull and being mindful of
the gift of energy and sustanance you receave from it)

8. When the Plate/Bowl Is Empty
My plate/bowl is empty.
My hunger is satisfied.
I am determined to live for the benefit of all beings.

9. Drinking Tea
This cup of tea in my two hands,
mindfulness is held uprightly.
My body and mind dwell
in the very here and now

10. Washing the Dishes
Was the dishes is like being a baby Buddha.
The profane is the sacred.
Everyday mind is Buddha's mind.

END

(there is a formal ritual. If anyone wants it... let me know)

and one final comment from me
and _____ picked up his conk shell named ___ and blew it
and Saitou-san picked up his sword Demon Circle and swung it.....

No comments:

Post a Comment